Skip to main content

“update: my interviewer told me not to say I’m interested in professional growth” plus 1 more Ask a Manager

“update: my interviewer told me not to say I’m interested in professional growth” plus 1 more Ask a Manager


update: my interviewer told me not to say I’m interested in professional growth

Posted: 15 Dec 2018 09:00 AM PST

It's "where are you now?" month at Ask a Manager, and all December I'm running updates from people who had their letters here answered in the past.

Remember the letter-writer whose recruiter told her not to say in interviews that she was interested in professional growth because it would make hiring managers think she wanted their jobs? (#4 at the link) Here’s the update.

I wanted to send an update on my letter about the recruiter who told me not to say I want growth and development during a phone screen. I received an automated rejection email for the role yesterday, but it was from a different recruiter than the one I interviewed with. Given that the company has a very good reputation, and are well known for treating candidates well, I decided to send the below email to the new recruiter in response:

[Recruiter],

Thank you for the note and follow up! I appreciate being considered for the role at (Company). I understand (Company) has a fantastic reputation so I wanted to highlight a few things from my candidate experience that may be something (Company) wishes to address in the future so as not to risk losing high quality candidates.

My phone screen with Other Recruiter was, by far, the oddest interview I have ever encountered. So much so that I even asked around for advice from other professionals, to ensure I was not way off base with professional norms. Some things I wanted to highlight:

* She was over 25 minutes late to a 45 minute call and ended it abruptly. Much of the call covered the technology issues she was facing as the reason she was late.

* She wasn’t very present/seemed scattered, she had me repeat the same information about my roles and experience multiple times, while also saying she was fully aware of what teapot professionals at my current company do.

* When I highlighted that professional growth and development and recognition is important to me, she told me that I shouldn’t say that because a manager will assume I want their position and instead should say I want to diversify my skill set. This was the oddest part of it all, in which many professionals I spoke to were appalled by. Professional growth, development, and wish to gain leadership skills are such common career goals, it was rather alarming to have her stop and offer advice that quite frankly is very out of touch.

* She also seemed to not understand my questions about the role, and consistently offered responses that were very different from that of the description. An example is when I mentioned liking that the role was more internal corporate focus based role instead of a product, she told me that it was a product role.

I completely understand and very much respect the decision to not move me forward in process, and hope that you have found the perfect hire! I just wanted to share that feedback as a candidate so that future candidates may have a better experience.

To my surprise, the new recruiter called me within 30 minutes of my sending the email. She mentioned that she felt awful reading about my experience and wanted an opportunity to make it up to me. She clarified that they canceled the role, but given my resume I would have absolutely been moved forward. She outlined that although that role is no longer open, she was recruiting for another role in another city and wanted the opportunity to discuss it with me to make up for the terrible experience I encountered. She sent me the new description, and we will see what happens since I don’t intend to move at this time unless it’s the role of a lifetime. That said, I was genuinely impressed that not only did she respond, but she also felt appalled and wanted to make up for it. As an active job seeker, we are so used to being ghosted and not treated well by companies, that it was refreshing to have such a positive response to my expressing my experience and concerns.

update: my interviewer told me not to say I'm interested in professional growth was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.

weekend free-for-all – December 15-16, 2018

Posted: 15 Dec 2018 07:00 AM PST

This comment section is open for any non-work-related discussion you'd like to have with other readers, by popular demand. (This one is truly no work and no school.)

Book Recommendation of the Week: I am going to refer you to this year’s complete list of book recommendations, with a particular nudge to buy the Ask a Manager book as a holiday gift for all your loved ones.

weekend free-for-all – December 15-16, 2018 was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.

loading...

Lexo edhe:

Postimet e fundit






Popular posts from this blog

Trajta e shquar dhe e pashquar e emrit

  Trajta e shquar dhe e pashquar e emrit Trajta themelore e emrit është rasa emërore e pashquar.  Nga trajta themelore ose parësore i fitojmë format e tjera gramatikore të emrit (trajtat). Emrat , si në njëjës ashtu edhe në shumës, përdoren në dy trajta: a) në trajtë të pashquar dhe b) në trajtë të shquar shquar. Emri në trajtën e pashquar tregon qenie, sende ose dukuri në përgjithësi, në mënyrë të papërcaktuar. P.sh.: një nxënës, një punëtor, një mendim , një mace, një laps etj. Emri në trajtën e shquar tregon qenie, sende ose dukuri të tjera, të veçuara nga gjërat e tjera të llojit të vet. P.sh.: nxënësi, punëtori, mendimi, macja, lapsi etj.   Formë përfaqësuese (bazë) e emrit është trajta e pashquar, numri njëjës, rasa emërore : djalë, vajzë, shkollë, lule, letër, njeri, kompjuter, lepur, qen, piano etj. Trajta e shquar e emrit formohet duke i pasvendosur formës përfaqësuese nyjën shquese, përkatësisht mbaresën: a) për emrat e gjin

Ese të ndryshme shqip

Ese dhe Hartime '' Ese dhe hartime të ndryshme shqip dhe anglisht '' Ndalohet rreptësisht kopjimi dhe postimi në një faqe tjetër.  Redaksia Rapitful ka lexuar disa ankesa në emailin e saj të bëra nga disa arsimtarë dhe profesorë ku janë ankuar se nxënësit po i kopjojnë esetë dhe hartimet nga faqja Rapitful dhe me ato ese apo shkrime po prezantohen gjatë shkrimit të eseve dhe hartimeve. Pra redaksia Rapitful kërkon nga nxënësit që të mos kopjojnë esetë dhe hartimet dhe me to të prezantohen para mësimdhënësve por le të jenë këto ese vetëm si një udhërrëfyes se si duhet të shkruhet një ese apo hartim dhe asesi të kopjohen. Ju faleminderit për mirëkuptim. Ese dhe hartime do te shtohen vazhdimisht keshtuqe na vizitoni prap. Nëse dëshironi Analiza letrare të veprave të ndryshme kliko mbi Analiza Letrare Kliko mbi titullin që ju intereson Ese për Diturinë   Për Mjekët! Fakultetet e sotme po kryhen me teste 6 arsye për të mos studiuar mjekësinë P

Tekste shqip: ““Ah Kjo Rruga E Gurbetit” - Shaqir Cërvadiku & Fatjon Dervishi” plus 21 more

Tekste shqip: ““Ah Kjo Rruga E Gurbetit” - Shaqir Cërvadiku & Fatjon Dervishi” plus 21 more “Ah Kjo Rruga E Gurbetit” - Shaqir Cërvadiku & Fatjon Dervishi “Du Me T'pa” - Gjyle Qollaku Nora Istrefi “Kercejna” - Sabiani Feat. Denis Taraj Getoar Selimi “Du Me T'pa” - Lori Bora Zemani “Million” - Melissa
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

Show more