Skip to main content

“heading off pregnancy talk at work, my office thinks the Christmas party is secular, and more” plus 3 more Ask a Manager

“heading off pregnancy talk at work, my office thinks the Christmas party is secular, and more” plus 3 more Ask a Manager


heading off pregnancy talk at work, my office thinks the Christmas party is secular, and more

Posted: 30 Oct 2018 09:03 PM PDT

It's five answers to five questions. Here we go…

1. How can I head off pregnancy talk at work?

I'm a sales executive in a small department of about 20 people in a larger organization. My spouse is also in the same firm. We have recently found out I am pregnant and are very happy about it. A few of our friends and immediate superiors know. They have been wonderful and supportive. I have efficiently received the accommodations I need.

However, I don't really want to discuss my pregnancy beyond this at work. My department is filled with many people who talk incessantly about their children and childbirth experiences. We also sometimes see them outside work, where I have seen them pester various other colleagues about reproductive or marriage plans. I know this makes me and several other colleagues uncomfortable but no one says anything because it is allegedly "well intentioned.” Is there a way I can manage how much attention is drawn to my pregnancy, especially when I become visibly pregnant? I don't want to become The Pregnant Lady and I don't want my condition to be an occasion for other colleagues to face a barrage of inappropriate inquiries.

You can definitely set boundaries. You should also be prepared for people to try to ignore those boundaries, because that's what they do. (Horrifying example: An upcoming podcast episode has a question from a pregnant woman who had to tell a coworker she barely knows to stop calling her "Mom.") But you can calmly restate those boundaries when that happens.

One option is to say relatively early on when people start chatting about your pregnancy, "I'd actually like to avoid talking about it too much at work. Work is my space away from pregnancy talk. Thanks for understanding!" But then you'll still need to be prepared for people to forget/ignore that. When that happens you can say some variation of "You'd be surprised by how much everyone wants to talk about pregnancy to a pregnant person — I'd be grateful if we could ignore it entirely." If you reinforce that boundary, it's likely that most people will respect it, or at least that you can short-circuit when they don't. But you may still get some people who determinedly plow through your boundaries, because there are a lot of those people out there and pregnancy is like a homing signal to them.

2. My office thinks its Christmas party is secular

I work for a company that employs people from all around the world and of all religions. We're based in a non-religious country that has adopted Christmas as a sort of secular party time.

My company is hosting a fancy Christmas lunch during work hours. It's called a Christmas party specifically, not a holiday party. Employees can choose to skip work, go to the party for a few hours, then go home, or go in for a full day of work. Obviously the party is the fun choice – but as a Jew with complicated feelings about Christmas, I feel sick at the thought of going to a Christmas party. I have casually brought up my concerns to a few people, but I've been told that it's a secular event, so I shouldn't worry. I don't think anything involving Christmas can rightfully be called secular.

I want to say something to my company, but I'm I having doubts. Am I reacting too strongly, or is it weird that we're essentially being offered the day off– so long as we celebrate Christmas first? Is there anything I can say to help them see the awkward place this puts non-Christians into?

Yeah, Christmas is not secular, and it's extremely disturbing to many people of non-Christian faiths when people try to argue that it is.

It's true that many offices let people leave early after attending the holiday party but don't allow that if they didn't attend. And that would be fine for your office to do, except for the fact that they've chosen to make the event an explicitly Christian one. They absolutely should not be telling people that the only way to get that day off of work is to attend an event that's explicitly for Christmas.

My hunch is that they’re figuring the party won't have hymns or prayer or a creche, so what's the problem? And they're welcome to have that party! But they're calling it a Christmas party, and thus they need to respect that not everyone may feel comfortable attending, and those people should not be expected to work a full day when others aren't.

You could talk to either your manager or someone else in a position of authority to change this and say something like, "As a Jew, I feel strongly that Christmas is not secular. I'm not comfortable attending a Christmas party, and I'm concerned that we're making a perk — a shortened work day — dependent on people choosing to attend an event that's rooted in religious celebration. Would you consider giving everyone the same amount of time off, regardless of whether they attend the party?"

I do think there's some risk here of them thinking you're coming down to hard on this, but you're right on the principle and if you feel strongly about it, you're entitled to take that stance.

3. My old boss wants me to send her confidential documents — that she created

I am having an ongoing issue for the past few months that has left me feeling really uncomfortable. My former supervisor (who hired me) left the company about nine months ago. Since then, we have remained friendly and often chat about how things are going at her new job and in my office, since I still occupy the same role she hired me for. Several times, though, she has asked me to send her documentation she created or contributed to while she was here at my company. In a few cases, the documentation is explicitly labeled as "confidential" or "for internal use only." I feel uncomfortable for obvious reasons: even though this former supervisor developed the documents, they technically "belong" to my company and her ownership over the documents ended when her employment ended. At least, this is my opinion. I know she does not feel the same way, however.

I have been able to put her off so far by telling her I couldn't find the documents or just flat out ignoring her requests, but lately her requests for one specific document have become even more urgent and persistent; I can't seem to put her off. How do I make my stance on this clear to her without ending our friendship?

Yeah, even though she created those documents, it might not be cool for you to send them to her. If you really want to verify that, you could check with your current manager. It's possible that you'll hear that it's fine, but without that kind of explicit confirmation, you shouldn't send them on.

It's okay to just explain that to her! She may not be thinking in those terms at all and will understand when you explain it. And you not wanting to get in trouble is not something that should end the friendship! Just say something like, “"These are marked 'for internal use' only and I don't think I'm allowed to send them outside the company, even though you created them. I'm sorry about that!"

4. I asked a hiring manager for feedback after a rejection and she invited me to coffee

I've started asking all hiring managers for feedback on my job applications if they reject me, regardless if we actually meet/interview (i.e., even if they just reject my written application, I politely ask for feedback). Like at this point, what have I got to lose? They can just ignore the email. But actually, I've been getting some really comprehensive feedback, with hiring managers really going out of their way to giving me some pointers. I'm continuously surprised and very grateful.

So today I just got an email to meet a hiring manager next week for a coffee to discuss my application they rejected and for them to get to know me. They are actually willing to take time out of their day to chat to me about my application. They maybe don't have enough work to do but more importantly are incredibly generous!

I should treat this like a job interview in terms of formality/professionalism right? And if you were in my position, what sort of questions would you be asking? Can you give me some advice to best make use of this very rare/special opportunity?

Yes, treat it like a job interview in terms of professionalism (dress nicely, don't badmouth previous employers, etc.). What to ask really depends on what you want to get out of these meetings, but it sounds like it would be helpful to ask things like whether they have advice on how you might come across as a stronger candidate in interviews or in your application materials, if there are particular skills they think you should build up, and what types of jobs they might recommend you target. I'd open the conversation with something like, "I'm so appreciative that you offered to meet. I have questions I'd love to ask you, but mainly I'm just really interested in working (in this field/as an X/etc.) and I'd be grateful for any advice you're willing to share.”

5. Update: my boss goes overboard for Halloween

Thanks for quoting me in your Halloween article on Monday! I was the person working for the boss who goes way over the top for Halloween. Here's an update.

Last year and previously, he put most of the decorations up himself with one or two colleagues helping, so it was only 1-1/2 weeks because that’s when he had time. This year he invited several of the professionals in our department to help in early October and ordered pizza, and we’ve had the dungeon and noisy toys for a month. Apparently there are other people who like it, since they helped.

Luckily someone turned off the soundtrack after about 10 days, which helped a lot. Today it’s back on. I’m using earplugs to cope with that. I didn’t realize how much the soundtrack was affecting me. It’s mostly sinister orchestral music in minor keys. Apparently we really are hard-wired to respond in certain ways to music.

heading off pregnancy talk at work, my office thinks the Christmas party is secular, and more was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.

our intern won’t stop talking — but I can’t tell her I need to get back to work

Posted: 30 Oct 2018 10:59 AM PDT

A reader writes:

You’ve answered versions of this question before, but this chatty coworker question is slightly different. I work at the front desk of a small nonprofit museum that has a rotating pool of volunteers. I started out as a volunteer, and still do a fair amount of volunteer work, so I’m kind of a bridge between the volunteers and employees. The best part of the museum is definitely the community of volunteers/employees it attracts — everyone is pretty young and extremely passionate and interesting.

Recently, a research intern joined the team. She’s very sweet and well-meaning, but talks CONSTANTLY, to the point that several people have approached me to quietly comment on the fact that she never ever stops talking. It seems like she’s just very anxious about being liked, and is trying to overcompensate. In so doing, she’s actively annoying everyone within earshot.

When she does her research, she’s typically at the front desk with me — a slightly isolated area — and the effect is twofold: 1) my friends at the museum avoid stopping by the front desk to talk to me, because they’re avoiding the chatty intern, and 2) I end up listening politely to the intern for the entirety of my shift.

It also doesn’t help that my front-desk job is fairly non-demanding. She always stops talking whenever a customer walks in, but as soon as I’m finished with their transaction, she starts again. I can’t honestly say “Sorry, I can’t talk, I have work to do” because if there are no customers, I GENUINELY DON’T.

I’m at a loss. Her immediate boss and my immediate boss (both friends of mine) have said privately to me, with varying degrees of tact, that they don’t know what to do about the intern because she’s so annoying. What constructive feedback can you give to someone like that without confirming their worst anxieties? Is there a polite way to say “Please talk 10% of the amount that you currently do, so I don’t actively resent you?"

Yep, this is different than previous letters I've answered about overly chatty coworkers, because in those cases people were able to credibly say they couldn't talk/had to get back to a work project.

So, a couple of options:

1. While you can't say you have work to do, you could in theory say you have something else to do. You could have a book you need to read for a book club — actually, no, you don't even need to invent a fake book club. You could just say, "I've been dying to use this time to read this book so I'm not going to chat today!" Or for a longer-term solution: "I've realized this is my best time for reading, so I've started bringing books with me. Sorry I won't be up for chatting!" You could do the same thing with a personal writing project, reading the news, catching up on your correspondence with your great-aunt, or anything else you want to spend that time on.

2. Be direct: "Would you mind if we didn't talk so much while we're up here? I like to have some quiet time in between customers, and I think if we're constantly talking it deters other people from stopping by." You could add, "I don't mind a little chat, of course, but I like some time to be in my own head too." Then reinforce that; if her calibration of "a little chat" is still way too much, talk to for a bit and then say, "Okay, I'm going to spend some time reading now." Or, on the other end of that, if she seems to think this means she can NEVER speak, model an appropriate amount of chat by asking her a warm, friendly question at some point (and be prepared with a conversation-ending strategy, like leaving for the bathroom or to get coffee if this opens the chatting floodgates).

But also, her boss should really be addressing this. That's part of managing an intern — or managing anyone, really. This is annoying other people and making them avoid her, and they have an obligation to address it with her by saying something (in private) like, "We love having you here and you're doing great work. One thing I've noticed is that you're pretty chatty with others. It's great for you to form relationships with other people here, but I want you to pull back on how much chatting you’re doing since other people are working or just may need quiet space. It's fine to have a short conversation, but be mindful of how long it's going on — a couple of minutes is fine, but usually people should get back to work after that."

And yes, this risks the intern thinking it doesn't apply to you since you don't have actual work you need to be doing when she talks to you. But as a manager, I'd start here and see if it solves the problem. If it doesn't, then she can address that piece of it more directly.

our intern won’t stop talking — but I can’t tell her I need to get back to work was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.

I can’t keep helping my work BFF do her job

Posted: 30 Oct 2018 09:30 AM PDT

A reader writes:

I started working as an executive assistant at a company I love this summer, and a couple of months later, another executive assistant – we can call her Tracy – started too. We are the only two executive assistants in the company, and a lot of our work intersects; although we assist different executives, the teams that report to them overlap a lot. I am a career administrative support worker, whereas Tracy has more experience in human services/social work. I'm much more organized and detail-oriented, whereas she has great empathy and interpersonal instincts.

Day one, we mutually clocked each other as queer, and discovered throughout the following week we share a lot of other things that matter to us… we quickly developed a strong rapport which we describe as "work besties," regularly eat lunch together, and have made plans to socialize outside of work.

But what's becoming a problem is that Tracy's performance isn't up to par with mine. I came up to speed very quickly when I started, and by the time she started, I was well established and able to help her out a lot. Because of our friendship, she's been open with me about the fact that the kind of work we do doesn't come as naturally to her as it does to me, and I'm instinctively compelled to take up the slack so that we excel together as a team (and have been doing so), but… I can't continue to be responsible for her. During her onboarding period, I advocated for Tracy to our shared supervisor, Kathy, and to Tracy's executives, but as time goes on and she isn't learning as quickly as people expected or as quickly as I did, I feel less like I can put myself on the line for her. However, I'm not sure how to pull back without it being extremely personal and hurting Tracy's feelings. Especially since we so enthusiastically bonded. (I have a tendency, in all aspects of my life, to go full throttle and am trying to develop restraint.)

I've already let Kathy know that I'm invested in Tracy's success but am having issues in deciding where to draw the boundary between us as a team versus us as individuals, and she said she is keeping an eye on the situation and asked me to let her know if I notice any problems. Tracy has also already been told, by Kathy, that she needs to depend on me less and learn how to catch/correct mistakes on her own.

I just don't know how to navigate the nuances of our shared responsibilities, let alone how to decide when I should/shouldn't be escalating, and am particularly concerned that Tracy might lose this job – both because having a counterpart with whom I am so comfortable and compatible is definitely an asset, and because I care about her well-being. On the other hand, it isn't fair for me to take that on. Professionally speaking, I need to put on my own oxygen mask first! Personally speaking, I'm not sure if I should also be pulling back socially. How should I approach this?

You can read my answer to this letter at New York Magazine today. Head over there to read it.

I can’t keep helping my work BFF do her job was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.

how much grooming do I really need to do?

Posted: 30 Oct 2018 07:59 AM PDT

A reader writes;

I am a 30-year-old feminist raised by hippies. I’m in a reasonably mainstream field that is fairly male-dominated. With lots of work over many years, I am now competent at basic hygiene and professional dress, mostly. I can do business clothes of any level. I shave my pits and any leg anyone might see.

But I am about to graduate grad school and started to read your awesome blog and now realize I am so lost on some of the finer details when it comes to necessary grooming for an office job or interview. Specifically, I don’t do any makeup. I mean none. No chapstick, no eyeliner, nothing. I’m reasonably confident about that decision. But I’m lost at eyebrows. Do I really need to “manage” them in order to have a reasonable chance of landing a job? If I do, why don’t my male peers? More relevantly, if I do what is the minimum I can get away with? This is not something I want to spend a lot of time or money on, but I will feel ridiculous if I lose a professional opportunity over my eyebrows. Similarly with pimples. I get maybe one a month — am I expected to do something about it? Or fingernails — aside from being clean, what are the requirements?

I do have female friends, but most of them are programmers and don’t have to worry about these things so much. Many of them don’t own blazers. Help me?

There are some fields where grooming matters more than others. For example, if you're going into some types of PR or sales, there would be more pressure on you to conform to a certain standard of "polish." On the other hand, if you're an engineer, there's going to be way less of it and possibly none.

What people mean by polish varies, but these are usually the basics:

* some amount of makeup, but it can be fairly minimal (often the goal is to look like a slightly more awake version of yourself, not for people to notice the makeup itself … and god help you if you go slightly over the arbitrary line of what people consider "too much")

* groomed eyebrows (which can just mean trimming them if they're unruly, although some people will take it further and pluck/wax/shape them)

* clean hair that's neatly styled and if it's long, is pulled back and out of your face not in your face (updated after pushback from commenters)

* clean, well shaped fingernails (which really just means they aren't overly long and don't have ragged edges or chipped nail polish)

That doesn't mean that you can't succeed in "polish"-oriented fields without makeup or with slightly bushy eyebrows! You can, and people do. But there's often more pressure within those fields to conform to a particular image, especially when you're either just starting out or trying to move up. People have biases, and it can be easier to be seen as "the sort of person who will do well here" when you match a certain image they have of who those people are. Sometimes that's because their clients really do respond better to a particular image (real estate, for example, is notorious for this) and sometimes it's not based on much of anything at all. (If you're thinking this sounds primed for unconscious racial and other forms of bias, you are correct.)

It is very, very unlikely that someone is going to reject you for a job because you have unruly eyebrows. But all of these details do go into painting an overall picture of you, and we do all have unconscious biases in how we respond to other people. In general, a professional standard of grooming will help you come across as more polished, and in general that will help employers in many fields respond to you better. But it's not like choosing not to bother with your eyebrows will doom you to a lifetime of unemployment either. It's just one detail. If you're not in a particularly appearance-focused field, as long as you're paying attention to the rest of your physical presentation — like wearing professional, well-fitting clothes and unscuffed shoes and not walking in with a purple and green macrame backpack with a big hole in it, etc. — you're probably going to be fine. (I might lean a little more into those other details if you're not doing makeup, but either way you should be fine.)

how much grooming do I really need to do? was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.

loading...

Lexo edhe:

Postimet e fundit






Popular posts from this blog

Trajta e shquar dhe e pashquar e emrit

  Trajta e shquar dhe e pashquar e emrit Trajta themelore e emrit është rasa emërore e pashquar.  Nga trajta themelore ose parësore i fitojmë format e tjera gramatikore të emrit (trajtat). Emrat , si në njëjës ashtu edhe në shumës, përdoren në dy trajta: a) në trajtë të pashquar dhe b) në trajtë të shquar shquar. Emri në trajtën e pashquar tregon qenie, sende ose dukuri në përgjithësi, në mënyrë të papërcaktuar. P.sh.: një nxënës, një punëtor, një mendim , një mace, një laps etj. Emri në trajtën e shquar tregon qenie, sende ose dukuri të tjera, të veçuara nga gjërat e tjera të llojit të vet. P.sh.: nxënësi, punëtori, mendimi, macja, lapsi etj.   Formë përfaqësuese (bazë) e emrit është trajta e pashquar, numri njëjës, rasa emërore : djalë, vajzë, shkollë, lule, letër, njeri, kompjuter, lepur, qen, piano etj. Trajta e shquar e emrit formohet duke i pasvendosur formës përfaqësuese nyjën shquese, përkatësisht mbaresën: a) për emrat e gjin

Ese të ndryshme shqip

Ese dhe Hartime '' Ese dhe hartime të ndryshme shqip dhe anglisht '' Ndalohet rreptësisht kopjimi dhe postimi në një faqe tjetër.  Redaksia Rapitful ka lexuar disa ankesa në emailin e saj të bëra nga disa arsimtarë dhe profesorë ku janë ankuar se nxënësit po i kopjojnë esetë dhe hartimet nga faqja Rapitful dhe me ato ese apo shkrime po prezantohen gjatë shkrimit të eseve dhe hartimeve. Pra redaksia Rapitful kërkon nga nxënësit që të mos kopjojnë esetë dhe hartimet dhe me to të prezantohen para mësimdhënësve por le të jenë këto ese vetëm si një udhërrëfyes se si duhet të shkruhet një ese apo hartim dhe asesi të kopjohen. Ju faleminderit për mirëkuptim. Ese dhe hartime do te shtohen vazhdimisht keshtuqe na vizitoni prap. Nëse dëshironi Analiza letrare të veprave të ndryshme kliko mbi Analiza Letrare Kliko mbi titullin që ju intereson Ese për Diturinë   Për Mjekët! Fakultetet e sotme po kryhen me teste 6 arsye për të mos studiuar mjekësinë P

Tekste shqip: ““Ah Kjo Rruga E Gurbetit” - Shaqir Cërvadiku & Fatjon Dervishi” plus 21 more

Tekste shqip: ““Ah Kjo Rruga E Gurbetit” - Shaqir Cërvadiku & Fatjon Dervishi” plus 21 more “Ah Kjo Rruga E Gurbetit” - Shaqir Cërvadiku & Fatjon Dervishi “Du Me T'pa” - Gjyle Qollaku Nora Istrefi “Kercejna” - Sabiani Feat. Denis Taraj Getoar Selimi “Du Me T'pa” - Lori Bora Zemani “Million” - Melissa
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

Show more