Skip to main content

“weekend open thread – August 1-2, 2020” plus 3 more Ask a Manager

“weekend open thread – August 1-2, 2020” plus 3 more Ask a Manager


weekend open thread – August 1-2, 2020

Posted: 31 Jul 2020 10:00 PM PDT

This comment section is open for any non-work-related discussion you'd like to have with other readers, by popular demand.

Here are the rules for the weekend posts.

Book recommendation of the week: America for Beginners, by Leah Franqui. A widow leaves India to tour America and find out what happened to her estranged son. I loved it.

* I make a commission if you use that Amazon link.

weekend open thread – August 1-2, 2020 was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.

it’s your Friday good news

Posted: 31 Jul 2020 10:00 AM PDT

It's your Friday good news, with more accounts of success even in this weird time.

1. I just wanted to share a little good news and thank you for your blog. I’ve been reading Ask A Manager religiously since I was in college and I’m now almost 10 years into my career. As a new grad with a Philosophy degree, I got a job doing office admin and loved helping with the bookkeeping. Using your advice, I got employer-sponsored accounting education, moved into the field, and have never struggled to find a solid job.

Late last year, after working in industry for a couple years, I decided I wanted to focus my career on public accounting. I needed to find a firm where I’d be comfortable working for 3+ years or my resume would start to look job-hoppy. I broke out every piece of AAM advice I’ve ever read, and within a couple months had good offers from three firms. I negotiated and went with a local firm who increased my salary by 50% with fantastic benefits, gave me a lot of responsibility and great feedback, and has handled Covid in a very responsible way. I have flexible hours to work on my master’s and eventually CPA, my own office (no more hot-desking or cubicles!) and at my recent 6 month review I was given a little raise and bonus. I’ll be supervising junior staff soon.

But best of all in this conservative industry and swing state… I’m totally comfortable being openly queer. I’ll probably transition to male in a couple years, and I think it’ll be awkward but fine. That’s a HUGE, HUGE deal. (For comparison, in the Big 4 I was sent to a “professional dress” session which mandated sheath dresses, heels, manicures, and impeccable accessorizing. Not exactly comfortable for me.)

Thanks for all the amazing advice you’ve provided over the years. I always recommend your blog to interns and juniors. It’s been invaluable for becoming a better and higher paid professional, and that has given me the luxury of being able to choose the workplace where I’m most comfortable being myself.

2. Last Friday, I accepted an offer for a great new job (yay pandemic hiring!). On that same day, a different company where I was interviewing reached out to me with an outrageous interview assignment. After completing only a 30-minute phone screening interview, they reached out to me six weeks later with a massive test assignment. Without exaggeration, massive: this is the type of assignment I would normally hire a consultant for, and was easily 12 hours worth of work to do properly. They wanted it completed within 72 hours! I told Company B that I was removing myself from consideration, but would gladly offer them feedback about their recruitment process.

I just got off a call with their HR department and they were truly incredulous to hear my (extremely polite and professional) feedback. It had never occurred to them, apparently, that this was a huge assignment to give to someone who yet to speak with their potential supervisor or learn more about the role; that 72 hours was not a reasonable amount of time; or that it was ethically dubious to ask for work that the company could immediately use without compensating a candidate. The HR director said no other candidate had raised an issue, and I pointed out the other candidates were hoping to get a job in an incredibly challenging environment!

The HR director said they would make some immediate changes to their recruitment process, and they were sorry to lose me as a candidate. I hope they do make changes – and it was only because of your blog and advice, Alison, that I felt confident enough to advocate for myself and future jobseekers at their company. Thanks!

3. For the past few years I have worked in a position that was not conducive to my professional goals, with awful leadership, poor culture and no opportunities for growth. I was miserable and started aggressively job hunting in late 2019. Early this year, I interviewed for a position I was incredibly excited about and while I made it to the final round, I was rejected. I think my overeagerness and desperation made me interview quite poorly, and I left each interview in tears, frustrated with myself. Then COVID hit, jobs got even more scarce, and I resigned myself to another year (at least) of being miserable.

However, I recently had the chance to interview with a great organization for a position that really aligns with my skills and goals. I took all of your advice to heart and was so much more calm and collected this time around. It was one of the best interviews I’ve ever had, and I got offered the job! I start this week and can’t describe how thrilled I am to be moving on to better things.

it's your Friday good news was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.

Ask a Manager in the media

Posted: 31 Jul 2020 09:00 AM PDT

Here's some coverage of Ask a Manager in the media recently:

I talked to the Washington Post about some employers’ increased monitoring of employees now that so many people are working from home.

I talked to NPR about the same topic.

I talked to Kiplinger about what protections you have if you don’t want to return to your office.

I was on Kiplinger’s “Your Money’s Worth” podcast to talk about how to navigate offices re-opening. (My segment starts at 10:23 and is about 10 minutes.)

Jon Hyman, the excellent employment lawyer who runs the Ohio Employer’s Law Blog, weighed in on last week’s letter about the employee who thinks coronavirus is a hoax.

Ask a Manager in the media was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.

open thread – July 31-August 1, 2020

Posted: 31 Jul 2020 08:00 AM PDT

It's the Friday open thread! The comment section on this post is open for discussion with other readers on anything work-related that you want to talk about. If you want an answer from me, emailing me is still your best bet*, but this is a chance to talk to other readers.

* If you submitted a question to me recently, please do not repost it here, as it may be in my queue to answer.

open thread – July 31-August 1, 2020 was originally published by Alison Green on Ask a Manager.

loading...

Lexo edhe:

Postimet e fundit






Popular posts from this blog

Trajta e shquar dhe e pashquar e emrit

  Trajta e shquar dhe e pashquar e emrit Trajta themelore e emrit është rasa emërore e pashquar.  Nga trajta themelore ose parësore i fitojmë format e tjera gramatikore të emrit (trajtat). Emrat , si në njëjës ashtu edhe në shumës, përdoren në dy trajta: a) në trajtë të pashquar dhe b) në trajtë të shquar shquar. Emri në trajtën e pashquar tregon qenie, sende ose dukuri në përgjithësi, në mënyrë të papërcaktuar. P.sh.: një nxënës, një punëtor, një mendim , një mace, një laps etj. Emri në trajtën e shquar tregon qenie, sende ose dukuri të tjera, të veçuara nga gjërat e tjera të llojit të vet. P.sh.: nxënësi, punëtori, mendimi, macja, lapsi etj.   Formë përfaqësuese (bazë) e emrit është trajta e pashquar, numri njëjës, rasa emërore : djalë, vajzë, shkollë, lule, letër, njeri, kompjuter, lepur, qen, piano etj. Trajta e shquar e emrit formohet duke i pasvendosur formës përfaqësuese nyjën shquese, përkatësisht mbaresën: a) për emrat e gjin

Ese të ndryshme shqip

Ese dhe Hartime '' Ese dhe hartime të ndryshme shqip dhe anglisht '' Ndalohet rreptësisht kopjimi dhe postimi në një faqe tjetër.  Redaksia Rapitful ka lexuar disa ankesa në emailin e saj të bëra nga disa arsimtarë dhe profesorë ku janë ankuar se nxënësit po i kopjojnë esetë dhe hartimet nga faqja Rapitful dhe me ato ese apo shkrime po prezantohen gjatë shkrimit të eseve dhe hartimeve. Pra redaksia Rapitful kërkon nga nxënësit që të mos kopjojnë esetë dhe hartimet dhe me to të prezantohen para mësimdhënësve por le të jenë këto ese vetëm si një udhërrëfyes se si duhet të shkruhet një ese apo hartim dhe asesi të kopjohen. Ju faleminderit për mirëkuptim. Ese dhe hartime do te shtohen vazhdimisht keshtuqe na vizitoni prap. Nëse dëshironi Analiza letrare të veprave të ndryshme kliko mbi Analiza Letrare Kliko mbi titullin që ju intereson Ese për Diturinë   Për Mjekët! Fakultetet e sotme po kryhen me teste 6 arsye për të mos studiuar mjekësinë P

Tekste shqip: ““Ah Kjo Rruga E Gurbetit” - Shaqir Cërvadiku & Fatjon Dervishi” plus 21 more

Tekste shqip: ““Ah Kjo Rruga E Gurbetit” - Shaqir Cërvadiku & Fatjon Dervishi” plus 21 more “Ah Kjo Rruga E Gurbetit” - Shaqir Cërvadiku & Fatjon Dervishi “Du Me T'pa” - Gjyle Qollaku Nora Istrefi “Kercejna” - Sabiani Feat. Denis Taraj Getoar Selimi “Du Me T'pa” - Lori Bora Zemani “Million” - Melissa
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

Show more